Monday, September 29, 2008

check this out!


So I was sifting through used books yesterday and I totally scored... I found all these old issues of New American Paintings!
For those o you out there that have never checked out an issue, I gotta say I think they have their fingers on the pulse of the upcoming art community in our country. In a nutshell, New American Paintings is a publication that results from the bimonthly Open Studios Art Competitions. These competitions are supa dupa competitive and the winners works are featured in the publications. As far as "in print" goes this is quite an accomplishment.

All that to say, you can always find some of the most innovative artists on its pages.

I bought a few old issues (they are still pretty pricey, even being used... 10 bucks! - not a lot for some, but a lot for me) and was super impressed and delighted to find the beautiful work you see across this post.

These portraits are not oil, as you and I both thought... they are embroidered! Yeah, i know... so crazy and so beautiful and detailed and ahhhh....

Yep, these are embroidered wool on linen!!!

The artist is Cayce Zavaglia and she is represented by Lions Wier Ortt Gallery in NYC... here is a link if you just can't get enough of these awesome portraits! --- I will not tell you all how many times I keep going back to her pages... all I will say is that there is a book mark there!

http://www.lyonswierortt.com/Cayce_Zavaglia/index.html